Ok, so I have to make this post quick...Heath is out on the porch tapping his foot waiting to get his ass kicked in Scrabble. I didn't think I was going to be making anything this evening since I've been feeling pretty crummy, but I feel MUCH better today. I had planned on making this tomorrow, but figured I'd let Heath grill some steaks instead.
This is another Paula Deen recipe, and it is OUTSTANDING! I made it awhile back for my Mom and Step-Dad, and they loved it. I think he ate half the platter on his own! This was the first time I've ever made it for Heath, and he was pleased...he's also very, very full :) Ok, that's all...time to go kick some Scrabble-ass!
Source: Paula Deen/Food Network
1 can refried beans
1 large bag white corn tortilla chips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup shredded pepper jack
1 jalapeno, sliced crosswise, plus extra for garnish
1 can chili, or your favorite chili recipe
1 cup shredded Cheddar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1. Heat oven to 350. Have all the prepped ingredients easily accessible to assemble nachos.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook refried beans until they are loose enough to spoon onto nachos.
3. On a large ovenproof platter, spread out a layer of tortilla chips and quickly put a teaspoon of hot refried beans on each chip. Working quickly, sprinkle with some onions, jack cheese, and jalapeno slices.
4. Spoon on chili and top that with Cheddar. Repeat this layering process until ingredients are used up. Save some of the jalapeno slices for garnish.
5. Place platter in the oven and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a trivet or heatproof surface. Top nachos with sour cream, green onions, diced tomato and jalapeno slices and serve hot.