I was really excited about trying this, however once I started it, I realized immediately that mine wasn't going to look anything like the photo from the blog I got this from. I don't know where they get their giant super-sized zucchini from, but the one's at my Publix are not nearly that big.
Once I sliced the zucchini, I realized there was no way I was going to be able to make individual stackers, the slices were just too small. I fried them up following the recipe, but instead of having one big zucchini slice on the bottom I placed four small ones. I topped them with two slices of tomatoes and mozzarella instead of one since I was working with a larger area. Then topped with both eggs. Basically, I just combined two small stackers to make one large one. Worked out well!
This is an excellent recipe for a weekend brunch, or a late breakfast. Even though I like it, I pretty much never have zucchini, so I especially like recipes that use foods I don't normally buy. Oh, and panko crumbs? My new favorite breading :)
'Panko Zucchini and Fried Egg Stacker'
Source: Adapted from BS in the Kitchen
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup flour
8 slices of zucchini
1. Set oven to broil. Get three shallow dishes. In the first one goes the flour, the second goes one beaten egg, and in the third mix together the panko, Parmesan, salt and pepper (to taste). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Slice zucchini into 1/2 in thick slices. Dip 8 slices first into flour, then into the egg, then cover completely in panko.
3. Place panko covered zucchini slices into the pan, sliding them around until the bottoms get a good coating of oil. Cook until both sides are golden brown (2-3 minutes per side).
4. Meanwhile, cut tomato and mozzarella ball into four slices. Lightly salt each slice of tomato and top with mozzarella. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and broil until cheese starts to soften, but not melt completely (about 2 minutes). Remove and set aside.
5. Once zucchini slices are browned on both sides, transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Prepare your 4 eggs however desired (poached, sunny-side up, over easy).
6. Place 4 zucchini slices on a plate, forming a square. Top with 2 slices of the tomatoes and mozzarella and 2 of the eggs. Sprinkle with fresh chives, salt and pepper.