Woo-Hoo for Friday! Well...my Friday kind of sucks actually. I'm sitting here on the couch procrastinating instead of out cleaning and rearranging the garage like I should be doing. I got some new photography lights (my natural light in this house S-U-C-K-S, so I have to make my own), but I didn't take into account how much room they would need. Now I need to move the whole garage around, all the while still being able to get my car in and out (Miss Millie does NOT take kindly to be left out in the elements). Good times over here today.
Anyway! I started out my week with a Jamie recipe, so why not end the week with a Jamie recipe. I first happened upon this burger on Pinterest. I was so excited to try it, but literally cringed when I saw where it came from. I've made a bunch of Jamie's recipes...I'm kind of trying to avoid her stuff so she doesn't think I'm stalking her...but this had to be made. So stalk I shall.
Me? I absolutely loved it. Heath? Not as much. He loved the burger, but wasn't crazy about the onions. The onions were the best part!! Whatever. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
Word of advice though...be prepared! If you want the onions done right, they'll take about 15-20 minutes, so be patient! Start them at the same time hubby is starting the grill, and you'll be good (we use a charcoal grill...it takes about 10 minutes to heat up). It's ok if the onions are done before the burgers are. Just place them on a back burner on low to keep them warm, and they'll be fine.
Well guys, have a great weekend! Miss Jamie, thanks again for another awesome recipe! I will be staying FAR away for your site for awhile, since I feel like I'm always re-posting your stuff. It's one thing to share a bunch of recipes from places like Taste of Home, or Betty Crocker, cause that's what those sites are there for. But I try not to post too much from one particular blog. I don't know...something about it seems rude. But I always link back to where I get my recipes from, so everyone...go check out her stuff! I guarantee you'll have a pile of recipes printed out in no time ;)
'French Onion Burger'
Source: Adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up
3 large yellow onions; sliced
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
2 beef bullion cubes
1/2 cups sour cream
2 pounds ground beef
2 packages Lipton onion soup mix
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
8 hamburger buns
8 slices cheese
1. In a large pan melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and stir, coating them with the butter.
2. Cover the pan, with the lid placed at an angle to allow some steam to escape. Stir the onions every few minutes while they continue to cook until they are golden brown (about 15 minutes).
3. Meanwhile in a large bowl, thoroughly mix ground beef, both onion soup packets, Worcestershire sauce, eggs and salt and pepper. Form 8 patties and grill to desired doneness.
4. While burgers are grilling, mix the water and bullion cubes together and pour over onions. Turn heat to high and let the onions simmer in the liquid until most of it has been cooked out...remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sour cream. Mix until combined.
5. When burgers are almost done grilling, place the cheese on top to melt. Place burgers on buns, top with caramelized onions and other desired toppings.