'Cheesy Grits with an Egg'
Source: Adapted From Dinner Vine
1/2 cup ground white grits (NOT instant) 1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk (or half & half)
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
dash dried thyme
2 eggs, for frying or poaching
2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
1. In a medium pot combine water, butter and salt and pepper until a gentle boil begins, then add the grits slowly, stirring.
2. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and cook for 20 min, stirring every few minutes. After 20 min, add the milk (or half-&-half) and cook 10 minutes longer covered and stirring occasionally.
3.Add the cheeses and combine well.
4. Prepare eggs however desired...poached, over-easy, or fried.
5. Toast bread and lightly spread with butter.
6. Dish cheesy grits into bowl, topping with a little dried thyme. Place egg atop grits and sprinkle with paprika & freshly chopped parsley. Use toast for dipping.