'Nacho Mac N’ Cheese'
Source: Adapted from Life's Ambrosia
2 cups dried elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 jalapenos, diced
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
1 cup grated jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tomatoes, diced
2 avocados, pit and skin removed, diced
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta 7–8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
2. In the same pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in onions and jalapenos. Cook just until softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Return macaroni to the pot and reduce heat to medium low. Stir in the remaining butter. Once butter has melted stir in milk, eggs, cheddar and jack cheese, kosher salt, cumin and chili powder.
4. Cook for 10–15 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Do not allow the sauce to boil or it will curdle.
5. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Let stand a little longer if the sauce still appears a little thin. Stir and spoon into bowls. Top each bowl with diced tomatoes and avocados.