'Classic Southern Tomato Pie'
Source: Adapted from Deep South Dish
1 deep dish pie crust, partially baked
3 medium sized tomatoes, sliced (about 15 slices)
2 tablespoons real bacon pieces, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
1 tablespoon sugar, divided (optional)
black pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oven to 400. Place the uncooked pie crust in a deep dish pie pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is dry looking and just beginning to lightly brown. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with two layers of paper towels. Lay the sliced tomatoes in a single layer on the paper towels to drain. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and cover with another layer of paper towels. Let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Heat olive oil in a small pan and saute the onions until tender, but not browned.
4. Heat oven to 350. Add half a cup of the mozzarella cheese to the bottom of the cooled pie crust. Knock excess seeds off tomato slices and top cheese with half of the tomatoes. Sprinkle with sugar if using, then season to taste with the pepper and garlic powder. Add half of the basil, top with half of the onions, and half of the bacon.
5. Repeat the layering process one more time with half cup of the cheese, tomatoes, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, basil, onions, and ending with the bacon.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, hot sauce, parsley and the remaining 2 cups of cheese; spread evenly over the top of the pie.
7. Bake pie for 40 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and light golden brown on top. Let cool to room temperature before serving. Pie can also be served cold if desired.
All Images Copyrighted © 2013 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife