Doesn't that look good?? It was. It soooo was.
I had to alter the original recipe a bit since the French Bread just wasn't working out for me. I bought a giant loaf of 'Bake when you need it' French bread last Wednesday, but when I went to bake it last night it had mold spots on it, so in the garbage it went.
I had some Schwan's frozen French bread in the freezer, so I stuck those in the oven on broil for 2 minutes (which is what the original directions for this recipe said to do...you can find those by clicking the link under the recipe title), but after about a minute and a half there was smoke coming out of the oven and the bread was burnt (I think that was my fault...the bread may not have been thawed completely).
SO, all that left was a box of Texas Toast I had sitting in the freezer. I figured garlic bread, buffalo chicken, ranch dressing and cheese would go well together, so why not? I was right.
Best. Improvisation. EVER!
In the directions below, I left the amount of buffalo wing sauce as the original stated, but I used less...about 1/4 cup. I was afraid it would be too hot for me to eat if I used 2/3 cup. It ended up being perfect for me. Just enough heat to taste it, but not so much that it ruined it for me. Heath said it wasn't hot at all, but I'm such a wuss when it comes to spicy foods.
Also, while it didn't ruin the dish for me, in the future I will NOT be using Gorgonzola cheese. It's stinky. Very, very stinky. If you like blue cheese (which I do not), then you'll probably love Gorgonzola.
Ok guys, have a great day and I'll see ya back here tomorrow!
'Buffalo Chicken Texas Toast'
Source: Adapted from How Sweet Eats
6 slices Texas Garlic Toast
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup buffalo wing sauce + extra for drizzling
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons ranch dressing
Shredded cheddar cheese (16 oz)
6 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
4 green onions, sliced
1. Bake Texas Toast according to package directions.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Toss chicken with salt and pepper, then add to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides (about 10 minutes).
3. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add in buffalo wing sauce and butter. Stir to toss and coat.
4. Remove garlic bread from oven and switch oven to broil. Brush each slice first with ranch dressing, then with buffalo wing sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and top with chicken and Gorgonzola.
5. Broil toast 2-4 minutes, watching closely and rotating the pan as needed. Remove and top with another drizzle of buffalo wing sauce and green onions.