Well, I'm gonna make this super quick cause I am out the door to get a couple things done before meeting some friends for lunch.
This is a fried chicken recipe that I came across on Pinterest and asked Heath to try. He adjusted the cooking time a bit (the original said to fry for 15-18 minutes which Heath felt wasn't even close to being long enough), and we bumped up the amount of spices that get tossed in.
Heath made it the way the recipe said to , and we both felt the breading (while VERY crispy and good) was lacking a little flavor.
Of course, fried chicken is one of those recipes you can play with. Everyone has their own combination of spices they like to use, but we just figured we'd give this one a shot :)
'Extra Crispy Spicy Fried Chicken'
Source: Adapted from Megs Everyday Indulgence
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup hot sauce (we used Tabasco)
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 quart buttermilk
Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder (to taste)
5-7 chicken drumsticks
Oil, for frying
1. Place drumsticks in a large zip-lock bag and cover with buttermilk. Chill for two hours, or overnight.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, and hot sauce.
3. In a large zip-lock bag, mix flour, pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
4. Remove chicken from buttermilk and sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
5. Place all chicken pieces in freezer bag with flour mixture. Shake until all pieces are evenly coated.
6. Remove chicken pieces one at a time, shaking excess flour and dip each piece in the egg mixture. Return to bag of flour, then and shake to coat. Set all coated chicken on a plate until ready to fry.
7. Heat oil in deep skillet to 350 degrees. Drop each piece of chicken into the hot oil, frying for 25-30 minutes, turning once.
All Images Copyrighted © 2014 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife