'Pierogies with Cabbage and Apple'
Source: Adapted from Good Housekeeping
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bag shredded red cabbage (10 oz)
1 medium apple, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 cup apple cider OR apple juice
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 box frozen potato and onion pierogies
1. In large deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium until hot. Add sliced onion and cook 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Increase heat to medium-high; add cabbage, cider, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; cover and cook 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
3. Stir in chopped apple; cover and cook 5 minutes or until cabbage is very tender.
4. Meanwhile, in covered medium skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil with 1/2 cup water to simmering on medium. Add frozen pierogies; cover and cook 5 minutes.
5. Uncover and continue cooking 10 to 12 minutes longer or until pierogies are heated through and pale golden on both sides.
6. Serve pierogies on cabbage mixture and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.
All Images Copyrighted © 2014 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife