'Rosemary& Thyme Pot Roast'
Source: Adapted from Tasty Kitchen
1 Chuck Roast (3-5 lbs)
2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Onions, cut in half
6-8 Carrots, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup red cooking wine (or beef broth)
2-3 Cups beef stock
3-5 sprigs Fresh Thyme
3-5 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
1. Heat oven to 275. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the roast.
2. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat.
3. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on each side. Remove onions to a plate and add the carrots to the pot, tossing until lightly browned (1-2 minutes).
4. Add a bit more olive oil if necessary and place the meat in the pan. Sear for about a minute on both sides until brown. Remove the roast to a plate.
5. Add the red cooking wine (or beef broth) to the pot to deglaze, scraping the bottom with a whisk to get all he bits and pieces up. Stir for 1 minute.
6. Place the roast, onions and carrots back into the pot and add enough beef stock to just cover the meat(about 2 to 3 cups). Toss in 3 or 4 sprigs each of fresh rosemary and thyme (or desired amount).
7. Cover the pot with the lid and place in the oven. Roast 3 hours for a 3-pound roast...4 hours for a 4-5 pound roast.
All Images Copyrighted © 2014 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife