'Lemon Chicken Romano'
Source: Adapted from Cooking Classy
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Provolone cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely shredded Romano cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Lemon slices or wedges for serving
1. Heat oven to 350. Sprinkle each side of the chicken breasts lightly with salt; set aside. Combine Mozzarella and Provolone cheese in a bowl; set aside.
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and egg until smooth. In a large zip-lock bag, toss together Panko bread crumbs, Romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the egg mixture, coating both sides and allowing excess to run off, then drop them into the zip-lock bag and shake until chicken is fully coated.
4. Heat olive oil and vegetable oil in a medium skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, fry each breast until bottom is crispy and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
5. Transfer chicken to a large plate lined with paper towels to drain, then place in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle each breast with the shredded cheese mixture and place in the oven to bake for 12-14 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and garnish with lemon slices or wedges, serve warm.
All Images Copyrighted © 2014 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife