Yay for Friday! I am so ready for this week to be over. Plus it's a long weekend, so that's always nice. Of course, I don't think we'll be leaving the house to go anywhere since traffic is always horrendous during Labor Day weekend, but it's nice nonetheless.
We're having a BBQ for the Wardroom this Saturday, which I'm looking forward to, then Sunday we get our new mattress!! After telling Heath for months that we really need to replace our 9 year old mattress, I finally said screw it and went to Sleepy's this morning. I found a great mattress at a great price (thank you Labor Day sales!), and it will be here Sunday...YAY! I honestly can't remember the last time I went to bed, closed my eyes, and didn't wake up till morning. I spend the whole damn night tossing and turning, and I'm sick of it.
Anyway, enough about that. Let'stalk chicken.
This was some mighty fine chicken. Heath loved it, and even Jesse ate it! Without the sauce of course, but I was shocked that he ate it considering how much seasoning it has on it. The seasoning isn't spicy at all, and for my sauce I used less jalapenos so I could eat it, but it still had a slight kick to it (for me, Heath didn't taste any heat).
This is a super easy recipe, one that's definitely doable on a weeknight. When you start cooking the chicken, start the sauce as well. They finish right about the same time. The biggest pain-in-the-ass about this recipe was unwrapping the 12 individually wrapped slices of American cheese...other than that, it's simple.
Ok guys, have yourselves a wonderful (and safe!) holiday weekend! See ya on Tuesday!
Source: Adapted from Blog Chef
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
12 slices white American cheese
3-4 tablespoons jalapenos, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In a small bowl combine 1 teaspoon of salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Rub both sides of each chicken breast with the seasoning mixture.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until the fully cooked.
3. While chicken is cooking, prepare the queso sauce...Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. Continue whisking for 2-3 minutes.
4. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking. Once smooth, add the cheese and continue to whisk until the cheese is fully melted. Stir in the jalapenos and salt.
5. Serve chicken with queso sauce drizzled over top.
All Images Copyrighted © 2013 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife