'New England Clam Chowder'
Source: Adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cup potatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cans chopped clams (6 oz each)
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 quart half-n-half
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
oyster crackers (optional)
1. Place all of the chopped vegetables into a medium-sized sauce pan. Open the clams and pour the clam juice from the cans over the vegetables. Set the clams aside.
2. Add just enough water to the pot to cover the vegetables. On high heat, bring the contents to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high and let the veggies cook until tender...about 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour until the mixture thickens.
4. Whisk the half-n-half into the butter/flour mixture. When it starts to bubble up and is nice and thick, remove it from the heat. DO NOT BOIL.
5. Pour the now tender vegetables AND the liquid they cooked were cooked in, into the half-n-half pot. Stir to mix thoroughly.
6. Add the clams, red wine vinegar, salt and a few dashes of pepper. Heat the soup over medium high heat until it's heated through. Serve with oyster crackers.
All Images Copyrighted © 2013 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife