Good morning! Well, it was an ok weekend. Daddy-O was supposed to leave for sea on Friday, but they didn't go, so we got an extra day with him, which was nice. They did leave Sunday though, so after taking Jesse to the Ledyard fair (where he made me ride this HORRIBLE spinny, puke-y ride with him...I felt sick for three hours afterwards), we headed out to first the Nautilus, then under the Gold Star Bridge, and finally Eastern Point Beach to follow the boat down river as she left.
It was a gorgeous day. Super windy, but it was a fairly warm breeze. Jesse looooooves doing 'The Drive' as it's known. He loves it even more when the boat comes home and our last stop is base, where he gets to watch her tie up to the pier. It's rare that he get's to see her come and go since they usually leave and come home while he's in school. They won't be gone too long this time though, so it wasn't a sad occasion. While we always miss Daddy-O every time he leaves, we're pros. Anything less than 6 weeks is nothin' :)
Anyway, here's a great recipe if you've got a bunch of zucchini left over from your summer garden and you're looking for ways to use it up! We all really liked this, and you can either dip them in ranch dressing, as we did, or make you own dip. If you click the source link below, she shared her recipe for Spicy Sriracha Basil Ketchup. I passed on that since Jesse and I don't like spicy.
Ok guys, have a great rest of your day! I'm off to do nothing in particular. A little laundry, a little reading, maybe some vacuuming...whatever kills time before the boys gets home. See ya tomorrow!
'Zucchini Parmesan Chicken Nuggets'
Source: Adapted from Half Baked Harvest
1 lb chicken tenderloins, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup grated zucchini, squeezed dry with a paper towel
2 cups cornflakes, finely crushed
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oven to 475. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Add the chicken pieces to a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over top. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large zip-lock bag, mix together the grated zucchini, crushed cornflakes, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
4. Drop each piece of chicken into the bag and shake until pieces are coated. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated then pray each nugget with non-stick spray (so they don't burn).
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then gently flip using kitchen tongs and spray the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes more, then remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce of choice (I used Ranch dressing).
1 Year Ago Today:
All Images Copyrighted © 2013 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife