'Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats'
Source: Adapted from Skinny Taste
4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup mild salsa
1 lb ground beef OR turkey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons bell pepper, minced
1 can tomato sauce (4 oz)
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Heat oven to 400. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large greased baking dish.
2. Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini into small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest.
3. Brown ground beef (or ground turkey) in a large skillet until no longer pink, drain. Add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
4. Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese.
5. Cover the dish with foil and bake 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with green onions and serve.
1 Year Ago Today:
All Images Copyrighted © 2013 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife