'Cajun Shrimp Mac N Cheese'
Source: Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 box penne pasta (1 lb)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
Shredded pepper jack cheese (12 oz)
shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Heat oven to 400. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the chopped shrimp and 1/2 a teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and allow the sauce to come to a simmer (3-4 minutes).
4. Stir in the Pepper Jack and the cheddar cheese, adding a handful at a time and stirring with a wooden spoon until completely melted before adding the next handful. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, a little salt and pepper, and turn off the heat.
5. Add the pasta and shrimp to the sauce. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is completely combined and evenly distributed. Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
6. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter with the Panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over top the mac n cheese.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until panko is golden brown. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
1 Year Ago Today:
2 Years Ago Today:
All Images Copyrighted © 2014 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife