'One-Pot Cheeseburger Casserole'
Source: Adapted from Number 2 Pencil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 of a large yellow onion, diced
1.5 lbs lean ground beef
2 teaspoon season salt, or salt and pepper to taste
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 pound rotini (spiral) pasta
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Freshly diced tomato
Green onions, sliced
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot and sautee yellow onions until softened over medium heat.
2. Increase heat to high and add ground beef. Season with salt and pepper (or season salt) and cook until meat is browned. Drain.
3. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, ketchup, mustard, pasta and additional teaspoon of season salt to the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
4. Turn heat back down, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
5. Once pasta is cooked, remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle additional cup of shredded cheese on top and re-cover pot with lid until cheese is melted
6. Serve and top with your choice of toppings (tomato, green onions, lettuce, etc.)
All Images Copyrighted © 2015 The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife